Would you like to have access to a basket of affordable fresh and healthy fruits and vegetables every two weeks? The Healthy Altoona Partnership wants to bring a Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op distribution site to Altoona. We need your help to make this possible!!!
What is Bountiful Baskets?
- Bountiful Baskets is a not-for-profit food co-op for individuals & families that want to have more fresh produce for less money. They have basket pick up sites in 16 states including six sites in Iowa.
- Bountiful Baskets is not a business that you buy from, but rather a co-op where we all pool our money to buy things together.
- Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op is completely volunteer run. Every site has been started by a volunteer who wanted Bountiful Baskets available in their community.
The Co-op offers a conventional produce basket every other week which is generally ½ fruit and ½ veggies. The monetary contribution is $20.00 ($10 more if you want organic) and is generally worth $50.00 retail. You place your order on-line the week before delivery and you ONLY ORDER WHEN YOU WANT (you are not committed to receiving a basket every two weeks).
They may have add-on items such as produce by the case (peaches, tomatoes, apples, etc.); bread products; ethnic/specialty produce packs (think Guacamole, Salsa, and things you dip in ranch!); pantry items (rice, beans, etc.) and decadent desserts.
Interested??? We have been in communication with the Bountiful Basket program and they are excited to have us open a site in Altoona (the site can be accessed by surrounding towns as well). To be considered as a site we have three fairly simple tasks:
- Identify a building to serve as the distribution site (3-4 hours every other Saturday). The Partnership is already working on identifying a site but if you have ideas let us know!
- Anyone interested should go to the Bountiful Baskets website http://www.bountifulbaskets.org and sign up so we can get an idea of how may in Altoona are interested. (Ideally we would have 30-50 people sign up to show their support and for us to be considered as a designated site). It is FREE to sign-up and you are not committed to buying anything.
- Volunteer site coordinators (ideally 4-6) for each co-op distribution. With enough volunteer coordinators each one would only have to take a Saturday every couple of months. General volunteers can just arrive an hour early at the pickup site and help unload the truck, sort and fill baskets!
- Help us spread the word – please!!!!!!
This picture is a real basket picked up by one of our Altoona residents from the Des Moines YGrubb Site and she had the opportunity to buy 5 artisan breads for $1.00.
Let us know your willingness to serve as a Site Coordinator, general volunteer or if you plan on participating bysigning-up!