The Community Garden is OPENING April 21st from 5:00 – 8:00 pm (weather permitting) so GET YOUR APPLICATION in for your plot(s) NOW – Applications are being taken on a first come first serve basis!
***See bottom of post for larger version of garden design
A special thank you to everyone that made this a reality!
United Way of Central Iowa and Polk County Health Department for funding the garden start-up, City of Altoona for providing infrastructure and staffing, Absolute Fencing who will be installing the fence labor free, Southeast Polk FFA students who will be preparing the garden on April 16th as well as committee members: Jessica Sheets, Vern Willey, Paula Winslow, Marcia Roth, Nettie Payne, Ruth O’Conner, Mary Krisco and Terri Henkels!
For details on the garden and Application process
- Located at Lions Park at 507 13th Ave SW, Altoona (on the very sw corner of the park – along the gravel road)
- Garden Plot Size 6 ft. x 15 ft. for $35.00 (18 available)
- Small Herb & Veggie Garden Plots 6 ft. x 6 ft. for $10.00 (14 available)
- Grow a Row or a Plant for community giving
- Extra bounty donated to Food Pantry & Senior Meal Site
- Free Plots for children to plant & learn
- Plots for FFA learning projects
- Water Availability
- Fenced in garden (to be installed between now and June)
- Plots Tilled in the Spring & Fall
- Educational opportunities on gardening, plants, healthy eating, and food preservation
- Garden open throughout season from sunup to sundown
Applications can be downloaded (see below) or picked up at City Hall. Submit your application with payment of cash and/or check to Altoona City Hall, 507 13th Ave SW, Altoona (walk-in or mail). Credit cards taken in person only. (After hours drop your completed Application and check/cash in the water drop off box) All applicants must read the Community Garden Policies & Guidelines document.
To download an Application and the Garden Policies & Guidelines on-line CLICK HERE
Questions: email email@example.com.
Note: Community Garden committee members will be at the garden on April 21st starting at 5:00 pm to help provide answers to your questions.
Follow our blog and Facebook for information on rain date and other important information.